Friday, May 28, 2010

Where is He?

I haven't blogged for a very long time but two things I know: God wants to me to read His Word and He wants me to blog. Now please don't think I haven't read His Word since 2008, the two aren't mutually inclusive. I just find that when God speaks to me I want to share it, but I've been lazy at doing so. It's also very easy to read God's word without allowing Him to speak through it. Some of you will read this, skim over it and not give it a second thought, others will read it and agree or disagree, a few may even read it and allow the words to make you think. I want to read God's word and learn. I want to read God's word and it make me think. I want to read God's word and it excite me! When that happens, I want to share those things with others. I want to use this blog to that end.

So what has God been saying to me?

Read my Word. That's fine, but it's a big book and I've made the excuse of not knowing where to start. The beginning is not always the best place. In reality it's easy to find out what to read. If God's told me to read His word, then He knows where He wants me to read and if I ask Him, He'll tell me. Guess what? When I asked Him, He told me. John.

So this morning I took myself into a quiet place. I asked God to show me something new. The problem with John is that most of us know it too well and it's so easy to read it without reading it! I sat down expecting to read most of chapter 1, but in truth, verse 1 was sufficient. ( I read New Living Translation, if I read something different, I'll let you know). So without further preamble, here goes:

In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God and the Word was God.
(John1:1)

As humans we need to compartmentalise things and God is no exception. I've always wondered where He is. Where is He? How could He exist before anything else existed? When did He start? By trying to answer these questions we're trying to humanise Him, or even to make Him like everything else around us - a created being. God isn't created, He IS. As He named Himself to Abraham, I AM.

There is no time, or space with God. In our terms He has always existed. We struggle with this because we need a beginning and an end to all things. Everything that is created has a beginning, everything will eventually die and fade away. God does not fall into this category because He is not created. He just IS. He doesn't occupy a particular space, He just IS.

When the Bible talks about "in the beginning" it isn't talking about the beginning of God, it's talking about the beginning of our created universe. God already existed, but not in a physical space or time. He chose to create everything we know, He chose to begin His work.

So now I need to stop imagining God floating around the earth above the atmosphere and allow Him to be who He is. God does not need materials to create something. He does not need time to create it in and He certainly does not need the space in which to do it. God is God, not a human and I need to stop trying to visualise Him and make Him human. I need to stop trying to understand Him. I need to just accept that God IS.

No comments: