Sunday, June 25, 2006

Whilst away

I had a worrying email from my daughter yesterday. It informed me that something terrible had happened but not to worry!

Why do we say that? The natural reaction is always to imagine the worst. In this case, I hadn't imagined the worst. But almost the worst the happened!

On Thursday night our home was burgled. Not much was taken, but it's an awful thought that someone has been in your house whilst you sleep. Sadly, it was the boys who were home when the burglary happened and they were fearful of telling us.

Rob, in his anger and frustration punched a wall and has badly broken his hand. Thankfully, their immediate reaction on discovery of the theft was to inform the police - and then Rob went to the hospital!

The children are all blaming themselves. I've assured them that there are so many "If only"s that no one person can take the blame. The only people who are guilty are the people who grabbed an opportunity to take another person's property.

Tonight we return home. I told them that the only reason I will be angry is if they have failed to supply Ian and I with milk for breakfast tomorrow! We both leave for work around 7 and will have no chance to purchase any. The burglary is done, they police have been informed, the children now need assurance of safety in their own home, not recriminations.

No comments: