Thursday, June 30, 2005

Today is an opportunity for positive speaking

Today I meet with the parents of my form. I've had a tough year at the hands of these kids and felt like quitting teaching on a few occassions due to their attitude. The thing which has kept me going is the knowledge that I am a good teacher. Being a form tutor is not so easy for me.

So this morning I have woken and determined to say positive things about my form to their parents. I will struggle with only one child to find the positive, but with God's help I hope to manage something.

I know each member of my class is expecting me to criticise and condemn their behaviour and attitude. Yet how much more effective and strenthening it will be if I can speak positives into their lives? We live in a world of condemnation, criticism, insecurities and failure. Everyday these children come to school knowing they will fail! Education is tough! We all get wrong answers, yet to some of these children, it appears that ALL they get is wrong answers. Nothing is right, they are total failures.

I know that every one (please help me with Joe!!) has achieved something this year. (yeah!!! Just remembered he was moved up a group in Maths! - a positive!!) These children need to hear of their successes more than their failures. Focussing totally on success is not the answer though, they also need to know their areas of weakness. This needs to be done with gentleness and a desire to see them grow and develop to reach their potential as people.

I know my weakness. I am negative! I see only my faults and often fail to see the good things and the strengths I have been given.

Father, as I speak positive into the lives of these children today, help me also to speak positive into my own life. You love me totally, not for what I am but for who I am.... Your child, your creation. When I criticise myself, I criticise your creation. Yet I stand in awe of you. Of the wonder of your creation and that includes me! By your Holy Spirit, let my life today be filled with your love. Let me see these children as you see them and help me also to see myself as you see me!
Amen.

I was dreading today, until I woke and read part of Psalm 119 and pondered on the thoughts that the psalmist delights to live by God's law. For me, that is to Love Him with all my heart and soul, and to love others as myself. Thinking of this has caused me to see that I need to love these children as God loves them. Today is to be my positive day!

No comments: