Friday, January 13, 2006

Awesome Night!

Awesome God!

Our cell group met last night and although only about half of us were present God didn't stay away!

The main cry of our local church at the moment is about moving and living in the power of the Holy Spirit. Last night was to be a night where we exercised.

Individually, we were asked to say which of the gifts we felt most comfortable in using and then to say which gift we felt we wanted to move in. Everyone else seemed to know where they were and where they wanted to go.

I felt alone.

I speak and sing in tongues but don't feel that these are my giftings for the building up of the church, more that they are the gifts which are for my personal uplifting and strengthening. This is not to say that I don't believe there will be times when God will use me to bring a tongue.

Everyone was very encouraging and spoke of words I had brought in the past to the group, or in Sunday meetings, which they believed where from God. The odd thing is, I thought these were just words of testimony, yet others felt there was a prophetic nature to them. I had never seen them like this and it was very encouraging.

It was good to see that we all were seeking more of God's power in our lives, not for our benefit but for the benefit of others. For some, it was for power to build the church where God has placed us, for others it was for power to impact the lives of those yet to know God. None of us were seeking power for ourselves or for our own personal glorification.

Moving in God's power, using his gifts, is not so that we as individuals can say "hey look at my super gift! See how powerful I am!" God's powerful gifts are for us to use for the benefit of others.

We each need to be seeking God's specific gift for our lives, whilst not ignoring the need for each of the other gifts to be displayed when the Spirit prompts.

This is an exciting time we are moving in. Don't let yourself be left behind!

No comments: