Friday, June 01, 2007

Busy week

There's something about a Bank Holiday which leads people in the UK to do DIY. It's reportedly the time when there are more serious accidents in the home than at any other time.

Well Ian and I have been busy working on our kitchen and it's beginning to look fantastic!

When we bought our last house, we spent about 3 years completing our kitchen. We had fantastic large units, a good layout and an awesome, black granite/composite sink. It was my biggest reason for not wanting to leave! I joked from the day we fitted the sink that when we moved I'd take the sink with me.

Our new home did NOT have a good kitchen. The design was ok, but there was an area which I felt was wasted space. Soon after moving in my dad generously gave me a financial gift to "do those jobs you need to do after you've moved into a new property." We redesigned the kitchen and then went shopping for units and bought the same as previously - well we loved them! We did look at others but none pleased us as much. As for the kitchen sink? Well we've almost got the same one... This time we've gone for a full sink, rather than a bowl and a half. I've got a large wok and it won't fit in the dishwasher and wouldn't fit in the previous sink. Now having a large bowl I have somewhere to wash my wok!

Rob, my eldest son, worked hard over the last bank holiday weekend stripping out half the kitchen and replacing it with the new units. This week, we've had a friend around to do the professional part of the plumbing and a bit of rewiring and the carpentry side of the worktop cutting. Yesterday, Ian and I spent the day doing the finishing touches to the final units.

There's still the decorative part to do, the flooring, tiling and a bit of painting but apart from that it's a fully functional, working kitchen which is perfect!

One of my favourite promises of God comes from Psalm 37:4

Delight yourself in the LORD
and he will give you the desires of your heart.
One of the desires of my heart was not to lose my kitchen! God, as a loving father, used my earthly father to allow me to "keep" my kitchen after we'd moved house.
God cares for the little things, the insignificant things as well as the important things in our lives. He designed us to have abundant life, a life of fullness and joy. What appears to some as unimportant can be important to others and God knows what is important to each of us.
When Ian and I were first challenged to move house we thought we would be movin north of our home in Nuneaton. A couple of months later and we realised we were to move south to a city we were dreading living in.
Since the move I've not stopped thanking God! I love this place! I love the area, the house and the accessibility to everything we need for living. Now I can add to my list of thanks the return of my kitchen sink! and thankfully - no injuries!

No comments: