Sunday, June 03, 2007

Discipleship

Today we were looking at discipleship and hearing that the word disciple is one of the most frequently used words used to describe Christians in the New Testament. The word Christian only actually occurs twice.

The first point of the meeting was that the disciples "came to Jesus"

Matt 5:1 Seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain, and when he sat down, his disciples came to him.
Jesus walked away from the crowd but the disciples chose to follow after him. We make a conscious decision when we become Christians and we continue each day to make the decision - do I follow Jesus, or do I go my own way?
As Christians we should stand out as people who are obedient to the word of God, our daily lives should show that we are following Jesus in everything we do.
On my return to teaching I'm now working at a school 25 minutes drive away. During the journey I play praise cds which encourage a conversation between myself and my maker, my saviour and my guide. On non school days I rarely take the time to tune my life in to a conscious decision to follow Jesus that day. I'm hoping that by reflecting on my "Sunday notes" each day I will find a means to daily decide to follow the life that Jesus has for me.

No comments: