Monday, June 04, 2007

City Gates

Just over a week ago, we heard about gates being the way into the city. In Nehemiah, a long list of people who worked together to rebuild the city walls of Jerusalem was given. The list included the name of the main man and the section of wall he rebuilt or the gate he rebuilt.

The text was used to challenge each of us on the different places that God has given us to work. For me personally, I was challenged by the Old Gate. Now I may be feeling old when everyone lovingly calls me Grandma (my daughter has recently given birth to my first grandchild), but it isn't an age thing.

The Old Gate was rebuilt by Joiada whose name means The Lord Knows. We were told that God knows the work we have done in the past and it was not in vain. The gate was also rebuilt by a guy called Meshullan, whose name means ally. God will be our ally if we go back and restart the work with His favour.

For me, this meant restarting the blog. I'm not sure if I've touched any lives by what I wrote in the past, but I believe my written thoughts will be a blessing as people touch base with the blog at some point in their lives. I will probably never know who or how this blog has helped them enter God's city, or even re-enter. I just know that God wants me to use it for his purpose.

Now I'd said I'd be talking about this week's word and yes there is a link. The next discipleship point was that Jesus called and the disciples responded. By writing this blog, I'm responding to the call of Jesus. It may seem a trivial way of touching lives, a safe haven as I don't meet face to face. But I believe that sharing my faith through this media will strengthen my ability to share my faith face to face as well as touching lives anywhere in the world.


No comments: