Monday, December 05, 2005

Be Still and Know

I'm trying to study for an Open University course. I have to admit that it isn't going too well. I'm not a single player, I don't work well when I get stuck. My first thought is to quit. I'm someone who needs others around me to get my little grey cells working.

The course is all about how our minds solve geometrical problems, what strategies we use. Now as someone who quits when the going gets tough, this is a bit of a dilemma for me! The interesting thing is that whilst doing the last 2 tasks I have given up each time, then when I just lie back and try to sleep, my mind solves the problems. The truth of the problem comes to me and I'm able to work my way around to the solution.

Sadly, this is not a pedagogic strategy and I don't suppose I can use it as my method for solving these problems! I need to continue to look for the correct learning terms for my assignment.

I do however believe this is a God given strategy!

Psalm 46:10 says:

"Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth."
God knows there are many times in our lives when it just gets too much for us. He wants to help us to overcome our problems and he's given us the key - Be still and know that I am God. When we sit back and rest in his presence, the worries of the world pale into insignificance. They don't disappear, they are just put into perspective.
Learning to be still in God's presence is something I particularly need at the moment, but it's something I believe we all need to practice everyday.

No comments: