Saturday, August 20, 2005

Knowing What to Do

One of the most annoying things in life is knowing the solution to a problem but not using it!

Over the past couple of days my parenthood has struggled to cope with knowing what to do for the best. My eldest children have left home (or have they?). Rob has returned a week before his 18th birthday. Things didn't work out in Southport so he's come back. Laura is struggling at work and is questioning the direction her life is taking. As a result, each morning I wake to find her sleeping in her younger brother's bed (he's at camp this week).

Other problems are surfacing at an alarming rate and I'm beginning to feel bogged down with life.

The annoying thing is I know what I need to do! I need to give God some quality time! I need to sit down and read his word, spend time seeking his face and giving him praise. Finally, I need to hand over everything that is worrying me.

So why do I struggle to do this?? Why is it so hard to hand parenting problems to God and ask his advice? My mind is telling me that they are my children and my responsibility. But I'm God's child, his responsibility and he loves me to come to him and ask for help.

At the moment, my children haven't asked for help. What they are doing is spending time in my home. Maybe not always talking about their worries and fears, I feel I'm having to drag those out of them. But they ARE in my house. They are close to me. They are desperate for my love, for my hugs, for my presence. They know that at any time, when they are ready, they can talk to me. They may not like what I say in reply to their problems, but they value my opinion.

I need to make sure that I do exactly the same as my children.

I need to go home, sit in my Father's house and gain strength from his presence. Talk about my worries, my fears and ultimately, just trust him, relax and regain my peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sue, your posts are great... how about another one? ;-)