Monday, November 28, 2005

Immediately!

Having completed 1 Peter, Jacqueline has agreed to work through John's gospel for our next study. It's a big book, but as usual we will take it in small chunks.

Last night and this morning I've read chapter 1. The thing that hit me is that the 4 disciples who are called all recognised Jesus for exactly who he was... the one spoken of in the prophets, the Son of God, the Messiah. All of them, on hearing his words, immediately obeyed his call on their lives and followed him.


Yesterday, we were honoured at church with the return of our senior elder. Having heard the voice of God telling him to take 40 days off work to seek Himself, David obeyed and has been away from work getting closer to God, listening and obeying. David's message yesterday (at least the one I heard) was about getting intimate with God. We need to be listening to him, hearing his words and obeying them.

The most striking message I got was that we are to live our lives remembering that we are living it with an audience of One. I wrote the phrase down at least 4 times throughout my notes because I considered it to be so important.

Chatting to my son on the journey home, it had obviously hit home to him too. He is so easily led into mischief, if someone tells him to do something, he does it! He's so often in trouble at school for his silly behaviour. He said, next time someone tells him to do something he'll think "Who is watching? Who is the only audience I need to care about?" The Audience of One!

We need to get close to God, to sit and listen, to hear his voice. We need to be obedient to whatever his call is on our lives, either long term, or just for that moment in time. We need to live our lives remembering that there is only one person in the audience!

To the four disciples who heard and obeyed the call of Jesus, from that day forth, there was only One person who mattered to them. They lived for Jesus, some of them later died for Jesus, but to them, there was only one thing they had to consider whenever they made a decision - is this what Jesus has asked me to do?

Hearing?

Obeying?

Living for an Audience of One?

YES!!!

Let us lead a HOLY life!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this Sue. I am reminded of the opening verses of Psalm 119, in particular verses 4 to 8:

You, GOD, prescribed the right way to live;
now you expect us to live it.

Oh, that my steps might be steady,
keeping to the course you set;

Then I'd never have any regrets
in comparing my life with your counsel.

I thank you for speaking straight from your heart;
I learn the pattern of your righteous ways.

I'm going to do what you tell me to do;
don't ever walk off and leave me.

Sue said...

Great words written by a man who knew God's forgiving heart!

Anonymous said...

Indeed. Amen!