Wednesday, July 20, 2005

A WOW moment!

One thing I've found with sessions on how to teach is a common aim of getting the kids to achieve a WOW moment!

I had one today!

Wow moments are those rare and exciting times when suddenly the light bulb lights up in your head and you realise something you hadnt seen before.

Today's WOW was about pi. That odd little shape that we use to help us determine the circumference and area of a circle. I've finally found out where it comes from! It's the ratio of the circumference (the outside) of a circle to the diameter (the line that cuts the circle in half). I never knew that before!

So what? It's just such a magical number! It has never been finally solved, it can be expressed as a fraction 22/7 but even that's only an approximation. What amazes me about pi is that even with our great technology we cannot find the end to the decimal part of pi. We are just as accurate in our findings as the Egyptians and other ancient civilisations that used it all those thousands of years ago. How someone came across this fact about the relationship of the circumference and diameter I'll probably never know.

Some people use all these ancient facts to prove that God doesn't exist. In my mind I can only see more evidence of an amazing creator God. He likes order and system. He plans and he creates. His world is full of pattern and blending of colours and shapes. Studying Maths this week and the tremendous links between the many areas of maths is just one more pointer for me of God's creativity.

22/7? Why such odd numbers and why such an amazing link? A circle is always a circle, the circumference is always 22/7ths of the diameter.

Take time to look at God's world and see an amazing mind behind all the creation, the creation that includes me and you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sue, it's so good to know what you have been up to each day. Thank you for being faithful with your blogging. I feel like I'm in touch with you even though you are a long way away. Glad that the course is going well.